Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sonoma County EDD: Dr. Chris Thornberg

I went the the republican breakfast on Friday at the Hyatt.  Why?  I'm not sure.  I just wanted to check it out.  I have my pulse on the business world and every once in a while I want to compare my intuitive hunches to the charts and graphs presented.

At my job, I'm anonymously down in the trenches actually managing cash, payroll, and benefits hands-on for several entities both public and private.  Charts and graphs don't mean diddly when there is no money in the bank and payroll is due at 2:00 PM.  Slide shows and statistics don't mean much when business owners snipe each other in back room deals over lucrative contracts with governments and side step labor laws to maximize profits for themselves all in the name of "free market economy." 

The speaker, Dr. Chris Thornberg, is nice to look at and a vibrant speaker.   However, I just had an unsettling feeling there is a disconnect between the information presented and reality.  It's almost like we are being purposely placated and led to believe that all is well.  That much I believe to be true -- for the rich -- and for the immediate future.  Dr. Thornberg was like the captain of the ship getting on the public address system and telling people "don't panic -- we have it all under control" as the Titanic is sinking.

At the end of the presentation, the audience was invited to write questions on a card.  Dr. Thornberg went into lengthy detail about many of the questions asked.  The one question that was asked that I believe will impact us all more than anything and was quickly pushed under the rug was, "What about climate change and anticipated impact?"

It was the most important question asked -- as none of the other issues and questions will matter -- was met with the glib response of, "It's getting warmer."

That, my dear friends, is the elephant in the room.









No comments: