Tuesday, May 28, 2013

On Visitors

Lots of things are happening this week.  Lots of 'lasts.'  Yes, I'm an emotional wreck.  Thank goddesses I don't have time to dwell on them or I would end up locking myself in a room for two months.  That may happen week after next when the dust of this insanely busy week finally settles. 

Why is it that visitors attract more visitors?  The meek pleas of mom's "I really hope I get to see so-and-so while we're here" has had me up to my armpits with people in my house 24-7.  Many of them come unannounced to say 'hi' to my parents and check in with the proceedings of the upcoming celebration.  The unannounced visitors chirp, "Please don't stop what you're doing.  We did not come to interfere."

Really?  Then why are you asking me questions and prodding for details as I'm cleaning bathrooms and trying to concentrate on getting ABC in order prior to the the 5:00 deadline and make rounds for errands that need to be completed?  I'm not in the mood to have a conversation with you while I'm wearing cleaning gloves and have a sweated brow.  

In a weird way I will be glad when this week is over and I can draw the shades, keep the garage door closed, and deadlock the front door.    My fantasy is to be alone in a silent room (uninterrupted) with a good book.  .  People drain me.   I want to recharge.   I have a hard time getting rid of people.  If two leave, three more come in.  I have no concept of being alone in my house. 

My plans for this summer is to spend time ALONE without anybody's constant nagging presence.  No, I don't want to do your laundry, cook your meals, clean up after you, watch your tv shows, etc.  I don't want to answer to anybody.  If I want to up and travel, I'm going to up and travel.  I'm done being the 24-7 hostess. 

If I do get the luxury of being home alone, it does not last longer than 20-30 minutes.   Just as I'm settling into enjoying my personal space, the front door opens WE'RE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Already?  How can I miss anybody if they won't ever go away? 

No comments: