Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lunch With A Friend

I'm still friends with the very first woman I met after moving to California from Minnesota.  Her initials are KRM.  Yeah, she has known me for 27 years.  Yes, she still talks to me on her own volition.  

We were on the same bowling team at Nave Lanes in Novato back in the late 1980's.  We would order pink ladies from the bar and proceed to get totally inebriated while trying to bowl competitively.  I quit bowling after breaking my fingernails all the time.  No, my crappy average and gutter balls had NOTHING to do with it ;)  Besides, the cafe had really good french fries.  Attempting to bowl with nails AND greasy fingers was a recipe for disaster.  Oh well.....  Now Vintage Oaks Shopping Center stands in the place of Nave Lanes.  Too bad....  it was kind of a cool building...

I'm getting off track.  In case you all have not noticed, I tend to keep the friends I make unless you are a *TOTAL* asshole.  In that case I just wipe you clean of my consciousness.  Anyway....Years later KRM and I still share our souls.  Yesterday we met up for lunch as her schedule is just as insane as mine. We were talking about how our children are coming of age and now how our kids' "boyfriend" and/or "girlfriend" play a significant role in the daily household routine.

KRM was lamenting on how her daughter's boyfriend (age 20) likes to spend the night at her house, which just in itself already has her irritated.  'Boyfriend' also went out and bought a puppy that he also now brings to the house.  Mind you, KRM already has two dogs of her own to care for.  It's not that KRM hates animals, it's the fact that her daughter and boyfriend thought nothing of bringing in yet ANOTHER animal in for her to care for without asking.  Neither one of them are out scooping poops in the back yard or taking dogs for walks. 

The moral of the story is that 18-25 year-olds have NO CLUE!  Just where is the line between being a good parent and kicking their ungrateful, irresponsible, clueless asses out into the street? 

No comments: