Sunday, January 24, 2010

10 Things That Make Me Happy

CG tagged me for a blog post for 10 things that make me happy. I guess she is sick of reading about my bitchy rants;) Stream of consciousness thinking... Here goes...

Coffee. I am drinking it right now as I tap my fingers across the keyboard. I can't imagine a morning without it. My mother was an avid coffee drinker when we were growing up, and I could not understand how she could drink something so disgusting. I am on a first name basis with every barista in town. Yup, I'm that hard core.

Wine. Another drink I used to loathe. Wine is a part of Sonoma County, and whether you like it or not you are exposed to it. One day I decided, "This stuff tastes pretty good." The rest is history. I hear AA calling.....

The Beatles. I loved them even before I knew who they were. I was fortunate enough to visit CG in England and they graciously arranged a Beatles pilgrimage for me. It was something that thrilled me to my core, and I will never forget it. Their music will always and forever put me in an instant good mood. AND I think they are sooooooo darling (especially George and Paul).

Home Alone. I love to be home alone. Sadly, it is very rare this actually happens. I get to play the music on the stereo I want to hear, and I can actually get something done.

Friday Nights. After a busy week of working and rushing around, coming home is like stepping into a refuge. Popcorn, a movie, and my slippers are extremely inviting to me.

Sunsets. Going to the coast to see a sunset full of pinks, oranges, purples, and blues sends my soul soaring. The emergence of twinkling stars and the constellations reminds me of how very small we are in this vast universe.

Christmas Eve. Being with immediate family and friends in anticipation of the next day is fun. I love how my kids are hyped up trying to guess what's under the tree for them, and what Santa will leave for them.

Armstrong Woods. If ever a place where where nature is audible, this is the place. If you sit still and listen *very* carefully, the voices of the trees is surreal. I can't understand why joggers have their iPods plugged in. I just want to rip out the earpieces and tell them they're missing out on the best music ever created by God.

Cooking. Cooking for large crowds is a labor of love for me. I get a high seeing satisfied, full people and getting compliments. It feeds my pathetic ego. No pun intended.

Santa Rosa Junior College. Taking classes on subjects I know nothing about is humbling to the core, to say the least. I am reminded on how limited my knowledge really is, and how much more there is to learn. Nobody knows it all. I am usually the "old lady" in class, and the young minds I am surrounded by gives me hope for the future. The depth of some of the young people I have met is amazing given their tender age.

1 comment:

CG said...

I will never tire of your bitchy rants! They are always so entertaining. It is nice to read about what makes you happy though - thanks for doing this!!!