Monday, May 23, 2022

The Rehersal Dinner

 It's crunch time for the wedding.  I'm so honored that my Minnesota besties are coming out for my daughter's wedding.  It's no small adventure to trek across the country.  Us 1980's gals are going to OWN the dance floor.  Not only that, my friends will be there to dry my eyes as my little girl gets married and I will be overwhelmed with emotion and be a complete mess.  

My son is graduating from UC Santa Cruz the day before his sister's wedding.  Talk about everything happening at once.  My son has had quite the educational journey as his path was the one less traveled.  My son is dyslexic.  He had to work ten times as hard as everybody else for grades.  His journey has been four steps forward, two steps backwards, three side steps, but always managing to go in the right direction.

How do we do a wedding and a graduation at once?  We certainly did not plan it this way.  The universe just doled it out to us and we had no say as COVID had an impact on both the timing of the graduation and also the wedding.  

The gods are gracious and we will be able to attend the graduation AND the wedding.  My husband and I will go down to San Jose on Thursday to spend the night and take our son and his husband out to Original Joe's, which is walking distance from the hotel we stay at.  We have something special planned for our son at dinner.  Friday we will trek over the hill to Santa Cruz and watch him walk.  After he walks we are peeling it back to Sonoma County for our daughter's rehearsal dinner.  Thankfully, the rehearsal dinner is CASUAL and it will be a taco truck serving us on the ranch.   We could show up in sweats and slippers and nobody would care. 

I was talking to a friend of mine today at exercise class.  Her son is getting married next weekend.  She was lamenting that she wanted the rehearsal dinner, which is traditionally coordinated by the groom's parents,  to have a casual vibe to it as in a food truck or the like as the venue is a ranch, but her soon-to-be-daughter-in-law insisted on some Michelin Star restaurant.  My friend is very well off financially and it's not a money issue.  She is not trying nor wanting to impress anybody with fancy restaurants for a rehearsal dinner.  Her philosophy is that people just want to eat, drink, relax, and the most importantly.....TO FEEL COMFORTABLE.......Especially with the stress of the upcoming wedding.  However, my friend is walking on egg shells as she does not want to cause any distress with her future daughter-in-law that would drive a wedge and damage relations.    

Mother of the groom wants a taco truck for the rehearsal dinner.  Bridezilla wants a fancy restaurant.  Everybody else just wants something easy and casual as they really don't care and are not emotionally invested.  The wedding party is already exhausted because most of them have traveled from far and wide just to participate in the wedding.  Bridezilla is crying because nobody is siding with her and is throwing a tantrum.  

I told my friend she can stop by anytime for a glass or two of wine.  I feel for her as she is trying so hard to keep the peace. 



No comments: