Saturday, May 14, 2022

The Mohawk

 Back when my daughter was playing D1 softball, the mask she wore made her hair stand up on the center of her head.  Her teammates teased her that she looked like she had a Mohawk.  When my son was born, he had a tuft of hair on the top of his head that is still there to this day.  My son has also worn a spikey-blue Mohawk just because he could. 

Both of my kids have sported the Mohawk hair without really understanding their connection to it.  

What is funny is that I remember my husband's grandmother, who was into the family history, telling us about the chain of events that happened since the family arrived from England back in the 1600's and settled in upstate New York.   I distinctly remember her telling us that there was Mohawk blood in the family.  I thought that was amusing as my husband's entire family looked pretty lily white to me.  Whatever.  Family genetics are complicated and we are all pretty much a bunch of mutts.  

Where I'm going with this is that my kids are honoring their Mohican heritage and they don't even realize it.   

They are not the last of the Mohicans.  The Mohicans live on.  

p.s.  If you have not seen the Last of the Mohicans, I highly recommend you watch it.  It came out about 28 years ago or so.  It pretty much sums up how America was born. 

No comments: