Friday, August 26, 2016

The Time Share

Ever gotten a GREAT deal on a hotel/condo but the catch was you had to participate in their time share sales pitch?

I will admit that I did just that when moving my kid to Hawaii.  The rate was really reasonable and I did agree to sit though their high pressure marketing scheme peddling a time share program.

To be honest, I'm not very well versed in time shares as I don't have any interest in getting one.  All I know about time shares is that everybody tries to unload them.  However, a deal is a deal and I will sit through the presentation.

I love stuff like this.  Sales people are always trying to figure me out and they are always wrong.  They think I'm the naieve, sheltered, housewife.  Easy prey.  I let them think that.....for a while.  I smile, nod and ask superficial questions.  When they think they have me, I will lob out an advanced question that leaves them stunned like deer in the headlights.

The time share sales guy said he was a former educator at Northwestern University.  Really?  How do you go from Northwestern to shucking timeshares in Waikiki?  He was weird and I picked up a slimy vibe from him.  He got rather annoyed when I lobbed out my advanced question thinking I was easy prey.  He flat-out told me that I was "over analyzing" the whole concept.  Wait.  He wanted me to plunk down $25,000 without THINKING it THROUGH?  So, I threw it back in his face.  I told him that if he's an educator, when why would he not want me to be fully educated on a major financial transaction?  Dead silence.

Don't mess with me or try to screw me over.  I will own you and have you choking on your own words if you try to pull one over on me.  However, the deal on the hotel was awesome.  Worth it.  I love tying people up in their own lies.   It's a sport.


No comments: