Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Village at Corte Madera

My daughter and I have a long-standing tradition of shopping for her birthday.  She does not want a party, and she does not want gifts.  She wants Momma to spend the day with her.  Our routine is to first go to The Village shopping mall in Corte Madera where she has her favorite stores before we head to Sol Food in San Rafael on our way back to Sonoma County for lunch.

One store we both agree on is Nordstroms.  I was surprised that they had a big, black guy mixing 70's funk music on loud speakers by the escalator.  Instant smile for me.  I had to stop and feel the beat near the speakers while waiting for my daughter was at the cosmetics counter.  I took a look around and saw a bunch of stuffy, stiff, unhappy people who were not phased one bit by the music.  There was a moment I felt a tad of sadness for them.

So, being me, i broke out in dance and sashayed my way over the the cosmetics counter where my daughter was getting helped by one of the cosmeticians.  There was a black cosmetician who gave me the biggest grin and thumbs up and said, "You got the moves, girl. I wish more people would lighten up and enjoy life. You're my kind of person."

I immediately thought of my African dance troupe comrade and how much I miss feeding off her energy in dance class.

It did not take long for the black Nordstrom employees working on that floor to gather 'round as I was obviously a rarity and source of amusement for a white, middle-aged woman to dance right there at Nordstroms.....old school funk-style.  My daughter commented that I'm like a magnet for black people.  LOL


No comments: