Friday, August 14, 2015

Meteor Showers and Random Thoughts

Early to mid August brings the annual meteor showers.  I have a fond childhood memory of going out on top of the garage roof as a kid with my older brother, who ordinarily never gave me the time of day, but this was something we both found cool.  We would lie on our backs and watch the wonder of the meteor showers.  It was pretty spectacular.  He was also the first one to show me the northern lights.  I had seen them prior, but did not really know what they were.  It was a giant "a-HA" moment for me.  I remember looking up at the sky, admiring the wonders of the solar system, and feeling incredibly small in comparison. 

In Sonoma County it's not so easy to view this annual celestial show.  Fog and light pollution put a damper in just walking out your front door to see nature's wonder.  Bummer. 

The 'big picture' is something I'm really trying to embrace these days.  We all get caught up in our petty daily irritants and annoyances, but fail to see the greater life lesson that is being taught.  The grand lessons of life are disguised in the seemingly boring and ordinary. 

Something that I take for granted are relationships on all levels.  We always think that so-and-so will be around forever.  They won't.  How are you going to express your appreciation  on how they impacted your life?  My African dance partner has been absent and not shown up to class.  I walk in only to see her spot empty on the floor -- which was next to me.  For a couple of moms, we were truly a salt-n-peppa team that could draw observers.  My African dance partner became gravely ill suddenly.  I miss her.  This song is one where she would turn to me and say, "take it away, sistah."









No comments: