Saturday, October 4, 2014

Parenthood: Little Moments of Pride

When my kids were younger I often wondered if my efforts were all in vein.  I never slept.  I was either working at my job, or working at trying to be a good parent.  That was my existence.  Period. 

I know some parents like to measure their parenting skills by test scores, athletic achievements, jobs attained, blah, blah, blah, or other external attributes they can point to. 

Not me.

I had confirmation last night while chatting with my college-age daughter over dinner.  Somehow, we got on the subject of relationships and how some girls her age get caught up in an abusive situation and how they struggle to get out -- if they ever do.  My daughter said, "I have high standards and I'm extremely picky about who will get close to me."

She has a healthy sense of self-esteem and a strong sense of what a balanced, healthy relationship should look like.  With that being said, I do have to give her father credit.  He made it very clear from her birth that she's of worth, and deserves to be shown respect from guys. 




No comments: