Monday, July 23, 2012

Schooled by a Kid

I have relatives here visiting Sonoma County.  It's especially fun this time because my cousin brought her boyfriend from Ireland and he's never been here before.  I love showing newbies around.  What would Sonoma County be without going wine tasting?

We hit a couple wineries, and then ended up at a retail wine shop that also had a little tasting section.  The gal behind the counter doing the pouring looked about 14.  She still had braces.  At first glance you would wonder how a kid could have a job pouring wine, and how could a KID possibly know anything about wine?

After the fourth word came out of her mouth we were putting our feet in ours.  This young gal knew a lot about wine, and ended up schooling us.  Damn.  This KID knew a heck of a lot.  Shut us up in a hurry.  I will never forget her tin grin flashing at us as the wine terminology definitions kept coming from her.  Impressive.  This gal had spunk and an incredible sense of humor.  We were having a blast.  

About that time a group of middle aged, pretentious French men entered the wine shop, and our tin grin gal pardoned herself from us to welcome them.  It was apparent the French men dismissed this child of possibly knowing anything.  The French men were borderline insulting in their assessment of the tin grin gal as their eyes and body language indicated.  Tin grin gal asked if they were interested in tasting anything.  The French men had their noses turned up and one of the French men turned to the other to say something condescending (in French) about California wines.  Much to the surprise of the French men, our little tin grin gal retorted in perfect French about the comment.

Touche.

1 comment:

Kate Dunkin said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I came across your blog while I was online looking at sonoma county vacation rentals for me and my wife's upcoming vacation we're taking. I'm definitely going to share this with my wife, I know she'll find it just as entertaining as I did.