Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Marin Symphony


Tonight was the season finale for the Marin Symphony. I had two tickets, so I brought my 19 year-old along with me. It was take-your-breath-away-raise-hair-on-your-arms-bring-tears-
to-your-eyes moving. The tickets were given to me, and I felt that I
should use them so they wouldn't go to waste. Wow! I'm sure glad we went.

I couldn't help but think about all the different instruments putting in their tones at just the right time to make such masterpieces come alive. It would be easy for one player in the orchestra to assume a thought like, "Well, I only chime in on three bars in the third movement. What difference does it make if I'm there or not? I'm completely drowned out by the violin section, so what's the point?"

It DOES make a difference. It's when the musicians are focused together and all the subtle notes and rests are in sync with each other when the magic of it all occurs. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I couldn't help but then apply that same thought to every person on this earth. We all have a part (instrument) to play, no matter how great or small, and it DOES make a difference if we participate or not.

3 comments:

CG said...

I truly love the way you think :)

Dianne said...

the orchestra of a harmonious world!

what a beautiful soul you have

Anonymous said...

Ditto the other two comments ...