Monday, April 28, 2008

Kids Running Amok

I had a general conversation today with a fairly large group of men in regards to what's wrong with kids today. It was small talk waiting for the meeting to begin. The comments being put out there were that kids today were running amok and getting into trouble. The reason for that, according to the group of men I was with, was that both parents worked and nobody was around to supervise or guide them. Subtext: It's all because women are in the workforce and are not balled and chained to the kitchen.

What I found so ironic, and I *really* had to bite my tongue, was that the guy spouting off the loudest about non-supervision has two kids. He is one of those fundamentalist, Bible-thumbing, self-righteous Christians who is an obsessive control freak. His boy has been in jail more than once, smashed up countless cars, and has had a D.U.I. infraction. His daughter got pregnant at 16. The daughter couldn't figure out what caused it and gave birth again at 19.

It took every ounce of my being not to get in his face and ask where the "supervision" was when his son was driving drunk and when his underage daughter was fucking some guy.

No comments: