Monday, April 7, 2008

The Asshole

An incident happened at a girls' softball game a little over a year ago. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it. What shocked me even more was my own personal response to the situation.

About a year ago my daughter was playing a softball game. The girls were 10 at the time. The pitcher on the opposing team hit (accidentally) one of our batters extremely hard on the elbow with a wild pitch. Our batter fell to the ground at home plate in pain and started wailing.

The father of the pitcher started loudly yelling, "She deserved to get hit with the ball, she was crowding the plate."

I have never lost it at a kids' game. I never say shit. Taking one look at our batter still curled up on the ground in pain and looking at that father who had the gall to say something so stupid sent me into a rage.

I walked over to the man (if you can call him that) and tugged him on the shirt. I said, "Excuse me, but that little girl over there on the ground is hurt and she's crying in pain."

He snorted back, "She deserved to get hit the way she was standing."

I coolly looked him in the eye and said, "Well, you don't have to be such an asshole."

At that point he flew into a verbal rage with me but I refused to engage or humor him. I spun on my heels and went back to my side of the bleachers to be met by our team and team parents giving me a standing ovation as one of our dads can read lips and reported the entire exchange to the others.

The 'asshole' was told by the umpire to sit down and shut up or leave the ball field.

My point is what kind of an asshole would think that any child deserved to get hurt? What a sick bastard! People like him should be shot.

2 comments:

CG said...

Totally shot!!

Anonymous said...

Most only think it but you had the courage to say it. Good for you!