Sunday, June 26, 2022

The Dream of Dad

 My father died on Christmas Day.  It's been six months.  Last night I had my first very vivid dream of my father.  I saw him and he looked like he did in his prime.  I would guess between 30-50 years old.  He was donning his hunting beard.  In my dream I knew he was dead.  I saw him coming to me and I asked him, "Dad, how are you?"

He replied in his usual cowboy understated tone of, "No complaints."

I then asked if I could give him a hug.  Dad complied.  After the hug I went on to introduce him to my daughter's sixth grade teacher as it was the end of the year and we were cleaning out her locker.  

In the same dream I was explaining to two women about the untimely death of my cousin, Karey, who died in a car accident in 1983 in rural North Dakota.  I was telling them about her death, and the hair on my arms stood straight up.  I said, "She's here."  

Again, I woke up exhausted.  I slept, but I did not rest.  My dreams had other plans. 

No comments: