Friday, June 3, 2022

Ready or Not: Here it comes

 In less than one week I will have my son graduating from UC Santa Cruz and my daughter getting married.  

My sister and her daughter arrive tomorrow from Minnesota.  They are the only two relatives who are making the trek to California for the wedding.  Many of my Minnesota relatives are farmers/ranchers and this is their super busy time.  My cousin in North Dakota made his daughter get married in December or January or he said he would not pay for it nor participate as they pretty much work 16 hour days other months of the year.  I get why my farmer/rancher relatives are not coming.  It's a 4 hour trek to the Minneapolis airport, then it's a 4 hour flight to San Francisco, then it's driving north to Sonoma County, getting a hotel room, etc., etc., etc.  It's a lot.   Still, I'm a little sad that neither one of my brothers nor my mom are not coming.  

However, my soul sisters from high school are showing up in force.  There's a reason we've all been friends since before we can remember :)

Truth:  I'm looking forward to life after the wedding.  I'm looking forward to finally having an empty nest.  Sorry if that sounds selfish.  I've been running a boarding house for my kids, their friends, and their significant others for 34 years.  

Another Truth:  We don't get a break.  We go from taking care of kids to taking care of elderly relatives.  It's all part of the life cycle. 

No comments: