Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Welcome Home Chucky


OK... I've had the hots for Jon Gruden ever since he coached the Oakland Raiders back in the late 1990's.  Everybody knew this.  One of my colleagues used to give us sideline passes just so I could get closer to him  LOL.  Then....he moved away :(    I always jokingly said to everybody that I was his only true love and someday he would return to me.  I never even met him in person...wait...only once and I did not even really meet him.

It was either 1999 or 2000 when he was signing autographs at some shopping mall near Stanford University.  My husband, being a good sport, played along as he is a TOTAL Raiders fan - season tickets and all.  At the time our daughter was quite young (maybe 4 or 5 years old) and we brought her along.  We get there.  We stand in line.  It's our turn to get his autograph.  We were briefed by his entourage that Jon Gruden does not want to shake any hands nor touch anybody.  Ok.  Fine.  He's a germophobe.  I get it and I respect it.  Whatever.

We approach the table where he was sitting and signing autographs.  I'm standing back careful not to get too close afraid of offending his germ protective shield.  My daughter blurts out, "My birthday is August 17 - same as yours."

Well, he just about jumped out of his seat to high-five my daughter and he was thrilled to talk to her.  I guess being a cute kindergartner with the same birthday gives a pass to the NO TOUCHING OF ANY KIND.  I never did get a high-five nor a handshake.  I do have an autograph.  LOL

It's been close to 20 years since the autograph incident.  I can't believe time goes that quickly.  Anyway, welcome home Chucky.

No comments: