Friday, November 3, 2017

Wendy

Sorry, but that name has always had a slightly negative association in my mind.  Shortly before I was born, my aunt lost a baby girl that they had named Wendy.  I became a symbol of what they lost being born just a couple weeks later and I always felt the sad energy.  I remember going to the cemetery and seeing her grave.  She was a stillborn.

There was a Wendy who lived up the street from us growing up.  She was the sister of a *very* good childhood friend of mine.  She could be a "B" at times, but I'm sure having her pesky little sister and friend around was annoying.  Wendy was the same age as my older brother and went all through school together.  In about 7th grade or so I think my brother had a crush on Wendy.  The feelings weren't reciprocal.  I remember once he figured that out he would find ways to criticize Wendy.  At the conclusion of each school year he would bring home his yearbook and find every picture of Wendy.  He would then point out to me, "Look.  Wendy has her mouth open in every picture."

I don't dare guess what was going through my brother's head when he made that comment, but for me it was an everlasting impression.  Wendy = big mouth open.  I began to notice the other girls named Wendy in my school.  Yup... there's a trend.  Every Wendy had a big mouth that tended to be open more than shut.

I don't know of any California gals named Wendy.  I wonder if that impression holds true out here.  What made me even think about it was the song by the Association (who I saw live one time in Tahoe - another story).  I realize the song is titled "Windy" and not "Wendy" but try to explain that to a seven-year-old.  I heard the song on the radio driving my car and all the memories just started flooding back.  I would like to meet a California Wendy just to see;)

No comments: