Thursday, November 16, 2017

Kitchen Ballet

My sister-in-law was over the other day.  As always, I was cooking in the kitchen and she was sitting at the counter shooting the breeze with me.  She made a comment about the way I move about the kitchen.  She said it was like watching kitchen ballet.  I glide, slide, spin ever so gracefully putting food together that looks like a dance.  I guess I know my kitchen really well.  I know where everything is.....and I get uber upset if somebody messes with it.  It's my happy space.  It makes me happy to make others happy with what I cook.

Next week is Thanksgiving.  How many are YOU cooking for?  Me?  This year about 20 or so.  I don't cheat and go to Safeway or order a meal from Raley's.  Everything is done the way grandma did it right down to the 75 year-old roaster I use.  I do it up Midwest farm-style.  No, this is not the time to substitute kale for stuffing nor olive oil for butter.  It's one meal a year, folks, so spare me the health food lectures.  The old farmers had less health problems than today and they ate lard 365 days a year.  Relax.  I always think I make plenty of food but when it's all said and done there's really not much left over.  I take that as the highest of compliments.

New this year:  I'm horrible at baking - especially breads.  We've been experiencing an extreme pretzel bun shortage here in Northern California.  My son, who is an awesome bread baker, will be giving the pretzel bun baking experience a shot.


No comments: