Monday, October 30, 2017

Pretzel Buns and Mexican Food

I need to write about something light today...well, actually, all my writing is dribble.  I need to write about PRETZEL BUNS, and no, I'm not referencing somebody with a twisted derriere.  Look at these lovely baked pieces of heaven
For whatever reason, unbeknownst to me, pretzel buns seem to be something like Big Foot around here in California.  People have seen glimpses of sightings seasonally at Costco, but pretzel buns still remain something of myth and mystery around here.  Why?????  They are delicious!!!!  When we do get some occasionally, they fly off the shelves faster than the latest Cabbage Patch Kid (wow, I'm dating myself).  
There is NOTHING like a warm pretzel bun with ham and cheese.  One of my Minnesota besties, JLB, introduced them to me a couple years ago.  I had never even heard of a pretzel bun before.  It was love at first bite.  I thought California had an edge on everything to do with food and we had the most diverse selection of everything.  We can get gluten-free-no-dairy-organic-exotic (fill in the blank with a food item) but to get a seemingly simple pretzel bun?????.  Nope.  I have to learn how to make them.  I'm not good at baking breads, but my cravings are overriding my poor baking skills.  

Now...switching gears completely.

It's happened.  One of the female family members is pregnant by an "undocumented immigrant."  Or, in other words, an illegal Mexican.  I'll spare you any pro or con arguments about this popular topic of debate.  Only the facts.  My niece began dating "Jose" a while ago.  Jose is from a family that slipped across the border into California.  Jose's mother kept bugging Jose as to "when are you going to get your girlfriend pregnant?"  wow.  great reason to have a kid.  mom wants to be a grandma and wants her son to have an anchor baby by a white girl with wealthy parents that will permanently give him residency in the U.S.  The joke will be when they find out the white girl's rich parents are not as wealthy as they think.  It's all an illusion that is steeped in debt.  

Mind you this couple is young and they do not have jobs to support themselves let alone a baby.  Never mind.  My niece is on some sort of assistance that pays for her health insurance.  Whatever.  My job is to shut my mouth, keep my opinion to myself, and give support when needed.  Well, it's needed.

There is going to be a baby shower.  My good friend, M, is going to do the catering for it.  I'm on standby for additional help.  We both love to cook and have often thought of doing catering professionally or opening up a restaurant.  M and I decided that would take the fun out of it and we would end up hating each other.  Anyway, the baby shower will be interesting as Jose's family speaks practically no English.  Talk about two different cultures colliding.  

M is a Jewish girl originally from Oakland.  I am ghost-white from the Midwest.  Our cooking assignment for the shower?  The menu requested is Mexican food.  It's so ironic... a white girl and a Jew making Mexican food for Mexicans that don't even speak English.  It better be good and authentic.  I'm intimidated by the task.  We can do it, right M?  If we fail I'm sure the insults and criticism will be said right there and then in front of us en Espanol.  Oh well, let them laugh at us gringas (stupid white bitches).....we're trying to build a Puente (bridge) and make them feel welcome.  




No comments: