Monday, July 3, 2017

Family History

Happy Monday, y'all, y'all,

I spent time in Minnesota for a work meeting and to also visit with my family.  I got quite the dose of family history while I was there.  I had no idea my paternal grandmother's sister was a recognized, decorated Marine Corp sharp shooter during WWII.  WOW!!!!  Women serving in combat was UNHEARD of let alone to be recognized for it.  My dad has old newspaper articles about her along with her picture.  She's still living down south in Mississippi.  Tough bird.  In her youth she was the beautiful, petite blonde woman with plenty of men chasing her.  Nobody would have guessed what a BAD A@@ she was.  This is the kind of stuff movies are made of.  You GO, girl.  Great Auntie, I salute thee!!!!!

I also learned about my paternal great-grandmother (dad's paternal grandmother).  She was of British Isles descent with curly red hair.   She kept a daily diary (like myself and I never knew that) and settled many arguments through her meticulous diplomatic skills and journal of daily events.  She loved to cook and read and made pancakes every single morning. 

My great grandfather (dad's maternal grandfather) was a rural mail carrier/farmer.  He would deliver mail through horrendous conditions with his team of horses and a wagon.  At midpoint through his route he would need to stop to relieve one team of horses and get another to finish the job.  Like that wasn't enough of a job.  He did all this mail delivery on top of his duties of farming which consisted of chores BEFORE he delivered the mail and again AFTER he delivered the mail.  He did that for decades.  Again, dad showed me pictures and newspaper articles about him.  When he retired there was quite the recognition and celebrations. 

...and I whine about WHAT???  They were tough. 




No comments: