Thursday, December 29, 2016

Year End

I was supposed to have this week off.  I kind of do.  I have the type of job that there really is no such thing as vacation.  It's just postponement.  Actually, I'm PUNISHED if I take time away from the office as the work load piles up and there isn't anybody who actually cares enough to deal with insurance, taxes, and month-end financial cut-offs in addition to year-end cutoffs updating and reconciling all the tax withholding accounts and the new minimum/maximum withholding amounts for the never-ending taxes and regulations Washington DC and Sacramento think we need.  Plus, we need to issue W2's and 1099's by January 31st. 

Attention Washington DC and Sacramento:  We don't need anything else to TRACK or DO!!!!!  We've reached chaotic gridlock on everything because everything depends on something else that the lower tiers have either screwed up or haven't done at all.  Don't get upset with me because it's taking me so long to get you your numbers.  I have to make rhyme and reason of the piles of incorrect, sloppy, and incomplete information I'm handed.  The lack of detail I see from banks, title companies, insurance companies, and even the county recorder is utterly appalling. 

There has yet to be a computer program that can deal with the intricacies and details/plan rules I administer.  Much of it has to be done by hand because, like I said, each pile of money has different reporting requirements, deadlines, and rules that are bound to it.  When it all comes to one source it needs to be sorted, sifted, transferred, and applied to specific people who may or may not be eligible.   It's one thing for politicians to open up their mouths and put "laws" into place.  It's another thing to deal with it.  Most of the time the politicians give me a blank stare when they themselves have put in place conflicting rules of money and I ask how they want me to handle it.  I've learned LONG ago not to go by anything verbal.  Eventually, a political rival with question what was done and the politician who treated you like a trusted advisor will suddenly get amnesia.  Everything needs to be not only in writing, but signed by the appropriate people.  Copies are not acceptable.  This can take months, my friends.  Bottom line:  Politicians have NO clue what goes on to make this machine run.  Most of the time they can't get out of their own way and we are all held hostage in the process. 


No comments: