Sunday, December 4, 2016

Havin' a Good Time: My Roots are Showing Part II

When I was a kid I was subject to country music from the time I was in the womb.  Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash (along with June Carter-Cash), Kitty Wells, etc.  The Grand Ol' Opry was a staple in my house growing up.  I should also mention the Lawrence Welk Show where I would try to catch the bubbles through the television set as the orchestra played.  I suppose that was my first clue I was someday going to be a cat lover. 

Of course, that means the moment I could assert independence I HATED country music as that was something old farts listed to and it was sooooooooo lame. 

I went full circle on this one, folks.  Come to find out that my parents have a lot of innate wisdom that only growing up in the 30's and 40's that the Depression and WWII could teach on a Midwest prairie.  Wisdom is different than knowledge -- they are not the same.  A lot of people have knowledge.  That is something you get from a classroom or studying.  Wisdom goes waaaaaaaay deeper than that.  My dad is extremely WISE.  He does not say a lot, but when he does it's potent and powerful...and you better listen up... cuz he won't repeat it.  He's not one for small talk as that's just useless noise to him. 

As much as my parents have completely messed me up with our dysfunctional dynamics, I've come to a place of acceptance and peace about it all rather than anger, hurt, and blame.  I'm lucky I still have both of my parents around to talk to -- with their quirks and all.  Believe me, I'm going to write a book someday.  I would not be the person I am today without them.  I suppose that's reason enough for the world to come after me with pitchforks in hand.  ha ha ha

Which now brings me back to country music.  I left it for a long, long time.  Only recently I have discovered country line dancing.  This one is my favorite at the moment...and I'm having a good time.  I can shimmi my shoulders like no other and get the attention;)  Good Time.




No comments: