Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Light

I've been at my job for going on 30 years.  My office is in a historical building that I would not trade for anything despite the usual quirks old buildings have.  The building manager has been here longer than myself, believe it or not.  She has seen me go through life and watched my kids grow up.  Her office is next to mine and the walls are not exactly sound proof.  I know her routine and can 'hear' scuffles, ringing phones, etc., through the walls. 

She is retiring today.

Just moments ago I heard her familiar pattern of sounds as she readied herself to go home for the evening.  I heard the light switch 'click' off and the squeaky office door close for the last time.  I could not even muster myself to go out and give her a hug.  I'm sitting here crying.  I don't know why. 

No comments: