Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The "B" List

My fingers have been hovering over the "delete my Facebook account" for quite a while now.  However, I'm quasi-amused at how this social media technological thermometer displays the raging, growing fever of selfish narcissism in society. 

People who really care about me know that the last place to reach me is via Facebook.  'Nuff said.  However, I think I received the all time low in wedding invitation etiquette. 

A relative of mine back in the Midwest got re-married a couple of months ago.  YAY.  Happy for them.  Really.  They had their "family and friends" nuptials locally near my home state.  I declined attending the first wedding with my regrets, but sent a personal congratulatory card wishing them well.  After the "family and friends" wedding nuptials, the couple and their inner social circle jetted off to a foreign country to be married *yet again* complete with gowns, bridesmaids, champagne fountains, etc.  Of course, pictures were plastered all over Facebook photo-journaling  every indulgence.

Now in my Facebook inbox I received yet another invitation to their post-wedding reception BBQ to be held 2,000 miles away in my home state in a couple of weeks.  That's not even the worst of it.   The invitation was an iPhone picture of the original paper flyer-type that was snapped and sent to me.  The accompanying text said, "I feel horrible that I forgot to invite you."

Really?  First off, how many times can one couple get married and throw parties for themselves?  Second off, it sounds to me that everybody is sick and tired of this non-stop wedding road show and want the encores to end.  People are not taking the bait for a fourth party and now the couple is looking to invite people from whom they feel they might extract money.  Receiving an insincere, impersonal Facebook message with a mere photo of the original invite at the last minute conjures up thoughts that the RSVP's are lacking and too much money was spent in the foreign country and now looking to try to fill the coffers.  I'm not your "B" list-afterthought-sucker. 

I'm not even going to respond to the invite.  I can't make this stuff up, people. 


No comments: