Saturday, March 30, 2013

Life After High School

The transition from high school to adulthood is a huge one.  I recall my own angst at entering the adult world.  I wanted to go to college, but my parents did not encourage it.  I had a full-time office cubicle job lined up for me in a highrise located in downtown Minneapolis the Monday morning after I graduated. 

I was envious of my friends going off to college.  They went to Duluth, Mankato, UW Stout, etc.  I wanted to live in a dorm and experience college life.  Instead of trying to figure out who I was and what my interests were, I stared at broker commission reports all day long doing the 8-5 Monday thru Friday grind.  I was dead at 18. 

Looking back I was a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.  I recognized the humor used in shows like 'The Office' and the cartoon strip Dilbert before they even existed.  I wish I would have done something with office culture sarcasm as I had material galore to contribute.  In fact, humor in the office was severely lacking.  They did not realize their lack of humor and taking themselves so seriously wrote the funniest material in my diaries.  That office was an institution of dorks. 

Anyway, one of my goals as a parent was to present the opportunity after high school to my kids to grow, spread their wings, and give support.  What I find so ironic is that my kids do not want to leave!  It took one 3-4 years after high school to launch.  I guess I should be a bitchier mom. 

No comments: