Sunday, November 29, 2009

SSU Loans

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck.

There is quite a brew-ha-ha here in Sonoma County regarding a Donald Trump wannabe getting a loan from an academic foundation for real estate. Then, of course, Donald Trump got too big for his britches and is now bankrupt. Surprise, surprise.

While those on the board are trying desperately to redeem themselves of the action, I have but a few basic questions:

1. Why is an academic foundation loaning money for real estate loans?
2. Should not direct loans to board members and former board members be banned as a conflict of interest?

It seems like there is a lot of self-dealing going on. I know I would not be pleased to find out that money I donated to an academic foundation was being used to finance a board member's real estate portfolio. I would be pissed as hell.

While I agree that investing money and getting some interest is essential to running a business, I think that the only interest gained here is self-serving.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you can't trust ANYBODY with large pools of money. This is only one sad example on how funds that are earmarked for what is to believed as "public good" are syphoned off by greedy assholes.

No comments: