Saturday, January 31, 2009

Colfax, North Dakota



It's not everyday I receive a package from 'back home.'

I received a package from my cousin, Tom, the other day. The contents of it made me cry... In the package, along with other assorted items, was a letter I had written to my cousin Karey (Tom's sister) many, many years ago that included my school picture of when I was a junior in high school. On the back of my school photo was the endearing rhetoric I had written to Karey consisting of girl teen-speak complete with "all guys SUCK" and "gag this photo with 10,000 volts."

The explanation letter Tom included with the package he sent to me was that he was cleaning out his deceased parents home and came across some odds and ends that he thought I'd be interested in.

Of course I was.

The reason I think that particular letter I had written so many years ago was held onto for so long was because I'm not exactly sure whether or not Karey actually got to read it. Karey died in a car accident about the time I sent that particular letter. Did Karey read my letter before she died? I'll never know.....

2 comments:

CG said...

I wasn't expecting to read that - how sad!

Dianne said...

oh you gave me the chills - it must have been hard reading the letter again

hugs