Monday, January 26, 2009

Job Losses

Signs of the crappy economy are worsening. Most people I know are holding their breath about their jobs -- they are completely in limbo. The people I know holding their breath expect some significant news regarding whether or not they still have a job around March.

My sister-in-law just got word that her job is cut effective the end of February. Her employer decided to eliminate everybody with health benefits. Nice corporate strategy. How's that for being a loyal and dedicated employee and going above and beyond for your employer? Great. Now us taxpayers get to subsidize even more uninsured, unemployed people.

Can we blame "corporate" for our woes? Yes and no. However, we consumers need to take responsibility for our choices. We all want our crap for cheap, but sometimes getting our crap for "cheap" turns out to be more expensive for all of us in the long run.

2 comments:

CG said...

Worrying times...

Dianne said...

Amen to consumers taking some responsibility!!

although I don't see why I can't beat the crap out of some bankers and Wall Street asshats -

I just lost my health coverage but I'm not going to freak out

when the bill collectors call I tell them I'm waiting for my bailout money