Friday, September 19, 2008

The Call

I have been patiently waiting like a spider for this telephone call to land in my web. I've sensed the situation brewing for months now... It finally happened. I received a personal call from the investment advisor we use for my work -- and believe it or not, I did not even initiate the conversation.

Several months ago, upon reviewing our investments, it was noted how much we had invested in government-backed mortgage securities. The question was asked back then (about a year and 1/2 ago) when the first signs of the mortgage debacle were first starting to surface, how much we were at risk. The answer from Mr. Highly Credentialed Investment Advisor was, "The percentage of vulnerable mortgage loans is extremely small. It will NEVER reach epidemic proportion."

Oh yeah??????

As time passed, and the mortgage meltdown continued with signs of it worsening, the question I had of Mr. Highly Credentialed Investment Advisor became, "How on earth could such a small percentage of 'bad' mortgages wreck such havoc in the financial markets?"

I smelled a coloussal rotten fish, and intuitively knew that this mess far beyond what anybody was expecting. I ordered a sell of all holdings about a year ago and put it in liquid investments, which was in complete contradiction to what I was being advised to do.

When Mr. Highly Credentialed Investment Advisor called me today, I coolly told him that I should be the one charging for advice.

End of conversation. Click.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

just hoping all is well

miss ya!