Sunday, July 12, 2020

My Grandma is Giving Me WHAT for Christmas?

Take a look at the below photo.  It was a gift from my maternal grandmother, who was so Catholic she would have made the Pope look like a heretic (God rest her soul), for Christmas in 1984. 
My jaw dropped to the floor when I opened it.  I thought to myself, "Why would my loving, Catholic, wholesome, grandmother be giving me birth control pills for Christmas?  What kind of girl does she think I am!"

This was 1984.  I was 17 years-old and my father had nightmares about keeping the boys away.  I had "done it" with a boyfriend I thought at the time I loved.  How did grandma know?  This is so humiliating!  Why would my grandma stick birth control pills in my stocking as a Christmas gift?  The last thing I would ever want to discuss with my grandma would be my sex life.

This is the WORST Christmas Day EVER.  Grandma knows that I'm having sex and gives me a pack of birth control pills.  Please.  Please, just leave me in the corner to DIE of embarrassment and humiliation as my dozens of cousins looked over to see what grandma got me.  I did not even know where grandma would even GET pills to give to me, let alone to know what they actually were.

Ohhhhhhh the SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait just one minute.  This was a lesson on jumping to conclusions.  Look what happened when I opened up the pill box.
It was a calculator.  I still have it in my possession to this day.  It reminds me to not jump to conclusions.  Many times we form a strong opinion about something without listening to the entire story and only seeing just the surface or one side of an issue.  Things are not always as they appear to be.  Just think if I would have gotten upset and assumed my grandma was giving me birth control pills, in front of the entire family no doubt, and stormed out causing a scene?

Life lesson learned, grandma.   




No comments: