Saturday, July 4, 2020

Commercial Real Estate

I'm glad I'm not invested in commercial real estate.  Can you imagine?  Tenants are bailing left and right.  Nobody is coming to the office anymore due to COVID and it does not look like they will be returning.  Leases are being broken.  Why pay rent on a space you can't even use?  Offices need to be totally reconfigured to allow for social distancing, etc.  What about shared spaces like kitchens, break rooms, and bathrooms?  There are many workers who are not comfortable sharing a bathroom, and I can't say I blame them. Retail space and office space are going away like the DoDo bird. 

Switching gears, my industry is embracing online meetings.  Finally.  These old geezers are finally getting a grip that they don't have to fly across the country to hear themselves talk.  Our industry is transforming from a meeting based organization to an online organization.  I'm excited about the transformation.  Many of my colleagues are wanting to retire because of it.  My role going forward is to help the organization make the switch. 

Have a wonderful Independence Day.  What are we doing?  Pretty much a lot of nothing except household chores.  We are in the midst of a huge project and it's been sucking up a lot of time. 

No comments: