Monday, October 3, 2016

Napoleon and Correspondence - A Strategy Worth Implementing

Napoleon did not read his mail.  I'm getting to the same point.  Correspondence is just getting ridiculous and each day I am attacked by mountains of emails, paper, surveys, advertisements, text messages, facebook messages, go-fund-me begathons, telephone solicitors, political polsters, blah, blah, blah, blah.

However, Napolean's tactics in dealing with overwhelming demands for attention are classic.  Granted, he did not have all the modern annoyances pulling at him.  Still, this is timeless.  I wish I could take credit for this, but I did not write this.  I'm just going to live by it:

His (Napoleon's) instructions to his secretary at the Tuileries are worth remembering. “During the night, enter my chamber as seldom as possible. Do not awake me when you have any good news to communicate; with that there is no hurry. But when you bring bad news, rouse me instantly, for then there is not a moment to be lost.”

It was a whimsical economy of the same kind which dictated his practice, when general in Italy, in regard to his burdensome correspondence. He directed Bourrienne to leave all letters unopened for three weeks, and then observed with satisfaction how large a part of the correspondence had thus disposed of itself and no longer required an answer.
Beautiful.  There are only so many times you can hit the delete button in attempts to stave off burdensome email before it consumes half your day and gives you carpel tunnel syndrome.  And again, if something is so important deliver the news or request for my presence in person.  I can hear the collective wailing of people who distribute information electronically and issue invitations electronically.  Again, if it's so important make personal contact. You don't have time to make personal contact???  Thought so.  My point exactly.  



No comments: