Friday, July 22, 2016

Accosted For Minding My Own Business

Just when I think I have experienced and seen it all, the universe throws some strange new encounter my way.  I was accosted for (get THIS) minding my own business!  Surreal. 

I am still in Europe with my work group.  There are some in my work group that grate on my nerves like nails on a chalk board.  I'm a sensitive person by nature and by the end of the day I've had enough of other people's energy and tend to withdraw.  I prefer a quiet dinner table off in the corner as I have already mentioned that small talk with work acquaintances exhausts me.  I prefer to read rather than chat.  I know that about myself.  I don't want to be a dinner bore so I don't want to subject myself to anybody. 

Last night when I got up to use the ladies room I was actually followed by a guy in my group.  He landed his hand on my shoulder and grunted at me, "Do you have a problem with me?  Why are you avoiding me?  You sit off to yourself and don't talk."

What????  I beg your pardon?  I did not know that minding my own business was a crime -- especially since the guy who accosted me is the big, bumbling, loud idiot in our group. 

What I really wanted to say was, "Mamma always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  That's the truth of it.  I've got NOTHING to say to outrageously obnoxious people who have NO clue or social self-awareness.  I've tried point-blank telling him that I'm not his dog and to not treat me as one.  How much more blunt can I be? 

After that bizarre exchange I told him I was feeling ill.  That's the only thing that dufus can understand.  I'm ill being around his toxic energy.  No joke. 

No comments: