Sunday, July 26, 2015

Canning Tomatoes

Yes.  It's late July.  You can take the girl off the farm, but can't take the farm off the girl.  Years ago I was bequeathed a canning set from Aunt Gertrude.  She was born in 1917 and witnessed the world change from horse and buggy to freeways, computers, and cars.  Her recollection of WWII was book material.  She was a regular at the Swiss Hotel in Sonoma way back when everybody looked down their noses at the town and the country hick inhabitants, as the town back then consisted of nothing but poor farmers.

Aunt Gertrude was not impressed with what was called "progress."  She gave me her beloved canning set and told me, "Don't you DARE ever throw this stuff out.  There will come a day when you will appreciate it."

Well, today I used her antique canning set for a batch of tomatoes.  I feel her presence every time I use it.....and no, I will never EVER throw it out.  I love you and miss you xxoo.


No comments: