Sunday, April 27, 2014

All You Need is Love: Santa Rosa Pops Symphony Series


OK.. This was the #1 song the day I was born.  Clue to my age.  Still, the lyrics hold true and are timeless.  Today I was gifted tickets to the Santa Rosa Symphony for the "Classical Mystery Tour."  I've been to 'fake' Beatles concerts before.  Some were actually pretty good and some laughable.  However, this one made an impression on me.  I can now understand why the Beatles stopped performing live after 1966.  Their music became too complex incorporating an orchestra to take on the road to perform for unappreciative, screaming, teen youngsters.  The Beatles wanted more critical, mature accolades. 

If there is one thing to notice about Beatles music after 1966 it is the incorporation of string and wind instruments.  Today was the perfect rendition of their music.  A live orchestra to back up their most beloved songs.  I bet you never really noticed the strings in "Yesterday" and "Elenor Rigby" and even "A Day in the Life" and the horns in "Penny Lane." 

The Beatles were one of the first to incorporate a live orchestra into modern pop music.  ELO came along a few years later.  Love them both:)

No comments: