Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Aftermath: Washington DC

I've been away on business for the past 5 days in Washington DC.  People often ask me what I do for a living.  I need to pause before I respond.  The five-words-or-less version is that I'm a glorified babysitter for obnoxiously rich people -- and I do emphasize the word 'obnoxious'.  I coordinate their travel, dinners, transportation, congressional legislative needs, entertainment, etc. 

At this point in the travel cycle 90% of the rich people have left leaving the 10% of us plebeians behind to clean up and pay their open bar tabs, bail bonds, and hotel bills. 

This is where all truth comes out.  We (the lowly 10%) often congregate in the bar area after the 90% leaves.  We exchange horror stories on how these obnoxious rich people manage to get away with what they do and why we feel any obligation to clean up their messes.  In front of the camera the 90% all swear they are "for the good of all Americans" and other diatribe that is complete bullshit.  They are out for themselves. 

We, the plebian 10%, all depart for home scattered across the United States with even lower self-esteem than what we arrived with.   We  console each other by saying, "see you next year." 

No comments: