Friday, April 12, 2013

Nosy Neighbors

Like my life isn't miserable enough living in a fish bowl.  Every bit of activity at my house arouses curiosity and questions from neighbors, most of which are none of their (bleeping) business. 

I got a voice mail from a neighbor on my work line and also on my cell phone.  She did not state exactly what she needed, but wanted me to call her back as she had a question.  I know this neighbor as we have kids the same age and we have connected socially at local events.  I always thought her to be rather nosy, but this blew me away.....

When I returned her call I expected her to ask about a school function with our kids or something of the sort.  This is how the conversation went....

"Hi.  This is NosyNeighbor.  I noticed you have had some extensive repairs done to your home as the construction trucks and activity so indicate.  I also know you have a teen ager you're going to be sending off to college.  Did you know that Bank X offers a great home equity line of credit?  I work for Bank X and get a reward for the number of people who sign up for a home equity line of credit."

I was dumbfounded.  How could anybody make such assumptions let alone have the audacity to ask? 
My financial situation is nobody's business.  What I wanted to tell her was that I have $1.8 million in CASH parked at another bank she does not have access to when NosyNeighbor looks at my account balances just to get a reaction. 


No comments: