Monday, November 20, 2023

Elderly and Broke

 Here's the bomb as it is going off:  elderly, retired folks who have outlived their retirement savings.  They are also thousands of dollars in credit card debt. 

Oh, we need to also mention they are hobbling around from the recent surgeries they had on their backs, knees, shoulders, etc., leaving them unable to properly care for themselves nor their pets.  

Here's where I am frustrated.  My sister-in-law, who is a good person, is elderly and broke.  She's had a few surgeries we have nursed her through over the past few years.  She always manages to hurt herself so self-sufficiency is never quite achieved.  She never married, lives alone, and has no children.   

I'm frustrated because she HAD money set aside for her from her mother when she sold her house in Marin County.  She blew it all on stupid stuff.  She blew it on trips.  She blew it on QVC "as seen on TV" crap.  She blew it on shoes and clothes she never wore and that I just recently donated to the GoodWill as it's long past a date to return it for a refund.

Now she's in financial dire straights and coming to me asking for money and advice.  

I'm pissed.  She HAD money.  She blew it.  Now she's crying that she's broke and two steps away from being homeless.  She has three credit cards and owes about $25,000 in credit card debt.  She has $200 in her checking account and no savings.  Her very low fixed income is not keeping up with expenses.  

The rest of the family has turned their back on her.  Should I do the same?  I've worked hard all of my life to save for retirement forgoing a lot of things other people had.  I don't want to pour our hard-earned retirement money into a bottomless pit.  Who's to say she won't rack up debt again if we paid her credit card debt off?  It's like telling an alcoholic not to drink as their health is in danger.  We all know they continue to drink.  

I just got my kids off the payroll, I don't want another "kid" to be financially responsible for.  We are talking about a 78-year old woman who lived at home most of her life rent free.  She had plenty of time to put money away for retirement.  She did not.  She was more interested in what was made in China at Target and accumulating piles of crap I am now trying to figure out how to sell or get rid of. 

SAVE YOUR MONEY, PEOPLE!!!!!!  STOP SPENDING IT ON STUPID STUFF!  WE CAN'T BAIL YOU OUT OF YOUR POOR LIFE CHOICES!      Sure, I would have liked to travel Europe for months on end,  bought a fancy car, and eat out every night.  Instead, I SAVED FOR MY RETIREMENT.  Sorry you did not.  Don't expect me, or society, to bail you out.  

Whew.  I vented.   

Here's a parting thought for you all.  Every time you make a purchase, think of who will need to dispose of it upon your death.  99% of the time your purchases are useless crap.  Do not even think of making a purchase without thinking of how you (or those who will need to clean up after you) will get rid of it.  

Your kids and relatives will thank you....as well as the environment.  


No comments: