Wednesday, October 6, 2021

1980's at Laura's Class Today

 I have been jamming with Laura for the past 10-12 years or so.   Laura is this *incredible* woman who is in her 70's and still teaches fitness classes 5 times per week.  She is no plastic looking piece of you-know-what that looks like she will melt in the sun.  Rather, she is a fabulously fit woman who has a *REAL* body and she looks GREAT.  

Laura is my dance instructor.  We would have class a couple of times per week pre-COVID.  When COVID hit, we hit a wall trying to figure out how to move forward with the reality we were handed.  Dance studios are generally enclosed.  Dance classes are sweaty by nature.   COVID dashed any hopes of us gathering inside with what was familiar to us.  

Lovely Laura found an alternative.  We meet twice per week at a local park outdoors.  We don't have ballet bars and mirrors to check our form, but we have the music and the moves that have several of those who are passing by walking their dogs or whatever pause to take notice - and then ask how to join.  This is not a secret club.  Just come and dance.  On Monday we had a two-year-old boy and his mother join in.  All of us old ladies gushed over the two-year-old boy and he cried when it was over. 

Today was 80's day with the music at Laura's class.  I'm going to brag for just once in my life.  I could name every song and artist less than three bars in.  Others in the group were astonished at how I knew the songs AND the lyrics as I also sang them.  I told them I used to hang out at night clubs waaaaaaaay back in the day when I was young.  I thought of SSP and SYB, who are  Minnesota besties and fellow dance fiends.

Hey, my daughter's wedding is quickly approaching.  We need to polish up our dance moves to show 'em how it's done, right?  Nobody knew the very beginning of this song when it came on at dance class today.  The computerized voice had them all thrown off.  I named  in immediately.   Hey, I should go on Name That Tune.  I just remember when 1999 came out it was 1983ish.  I thought 1999 was sooooo far in the future.  Now it's 22 years in the past.  Holy COW I'm old.  LOL. 


 



No comments: