Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Homeowners

 My daughter and her fiancee just purchased a home here in Sonoma County.  All of this is happening so fast that my head is still spinning.  My daughter is not going to be married until 2022, but her fiancee and his family have their ears to the ground when it comes to real estate.  

Long story short, my daughter's future father -in-law went to check out an RV that was for sale.  After talking to the lady who is living there on the property a bit, it turned out that the home where the RV was at had been in the family for 60 years and the parents both passed away.  Now there are three sibling owners of the house and two of the siblings live out of state - and one sibling living in the house.  They need to sell to divide the inheritance three ways as nobody wants to buy the other siblings out.  

My daughter's future father-in-law is VERY savvy with real estate and saw a diamond in the rough.  Long story short he put a cash offer on it right there and then.  Of course, there were other offers that came in that were higher, but my daughter and her fiancee wrote a letter to the owners stating how they both grew up in Sonoma County, both attended the same elementary, junior high, and high school together, and how they want to raise a family in the neighborhood where they grew up. 

My daughter and her fiancee ended up getting the house.  :)      It's soooooooo close to where we live that when they have babies I'm only 2 minutes away by car and 15 minutes walking (at most) so I can be there in an instant when the sleepless nights get to be too much and they need a break. 

Here's the catch:  The house was built in 1902 and it needs some work.  It needs some structural work and some cosmetic work, but the overall bones are good and it also has a large lot.  It has personality PLUS and great energy.  I got to tour the home on Sunday and meet the lady who is currently living there.  The pictures on the internet do not do it justice, but that's ok.  Seeing it in person was a really spiritual experience that I did not expect.  

When I walked into the house I got the feeling of light, air, and fun energy.  The house has little rooms with nooks and crannies that were bright and welcoming.  There was the surprise of yet another room, no matter how funky and and small, around every corner.  The kitchen was bright and airy with lots of windows with a layout reminiscent of a century gone by.  The yard has chickens and a chicken coop and a "fun pit" where raging parties happened in the late 1960's - early 1970's with live bands.  One of the rooms still has original prints on the wood flooring from 1902.  There are built in cabinets as well that one does not see in more modern houses.  The eclectic groove of the house is a Bohemian paradise. 

When I got to the lower level of the house is where it all came clear to me.  I walked into an area that was the former (deceased) owner's art studio, but I did not know it at the time.  The hair on my arms stood up straight.  I immediately knew this room was of special meaning.  I got the very strong message that the space was special and to honor it.  I spoke the words out loud that we would honor the space, but I was not sure as to whom I was speaking.

When I went upstairs the lady/sibling who is still living in the house met me.  I told her that I felt a presence downstairs knowing stating such that I was risking her thinking that I was an absolute nut-ball.  She reached out her hand and put it on my shoulder and said that was her mother's happy space where she did all of her artwork, and that I was not crazy for sensing it.  I told her we would forever honor it in some way.  

Honor the past, honor the present, and honor the future.  That's what I'm trying to do in all my imperfect ways. 



No comments: