Thursday, August 20, 2020

Karey

I usually don't post personal pictures or use real names, but 37 years after her death I think it's safe to post as Karey died long before social media, the internet, and whatever online profile she might have had by now had she lived.  

Karey was my cousin-sister.  Our mothers were sisters and we were very close growing up.  I LOVED going to their farm in North Dakota to spend my summers.   There were so many happy memories.  One day back in October of 1983 I was not feeling right.  I did not go to school that day, and I wore for the first time matching shirts that Karey and I bought a few weeks earlier.  The whole day felt off and I did not know why. 

The call came about dinner time.  My aunt had called my mother to say that Karey had died in a one car accident in rural North Dakota.  The theory was that she was fiddling with the car radio and went into the ditch.  She tried to over correct to get back onto the gravel road, but the gravel sucked her in and the car rolled crushing her.  

Where I'm going with all of this is that today is her birthday.  Happy birthday, Karey.  I miss you so, so much.  p.s.  I still have the necklace you are wearing in this picture.  



No comments: