Monday, August 24, 2020

Ghost Town

I have an office in a downtown location in one of Sonoma County's cities.  I've had it for years.  It's in a premium location and it is quite lovely.  I have the rent on auto pay so I don't even have to think about submitting the monthly rent payment in a timely manner.  I am also very quiet and clean.  Let's just say that I'm a building manager's dream come true - steady income, no maintenance.  I just renewed the lease for another two years with no increases. 

My building used to be very busy and there was a wait list for tenants.  Now with the economic melt-down it's a ghost town.  Several of the offices have been vacated and 'for lease' signs are posted all over the place.  

Where I'm going with this is that the building manager is there on Mondays and Thursdays.  Today being Monday I saw not another living being all day.  Why?  Most of the tenants are behind on their rent and don't want to bump into the building manager on Monday for fear of being reminded of their past-due status.  I'm betting I'll see a scattered few in the building tomorrow and Wednesday, and then nobody on Thursday.  

I pretty much have the entire building to myself. 

No comments: