Thursday, February 8, 2018

Walk On Song

I have a kid who plays D1 college sports.  My kid *knows* what a music and dance freak I am.  I also have the strange knack for getting a crowd jumping.  I'm not afraid to start a dance flash mob anywhere -- even if I'm by myself.

When my kids were younger they used to be embarrassed of their "freak mom" who would bust a move in the grocery store.  When they became teenagers, I was not afraid to interrupt them and their friends while they were in their teen bubbles and spontaneously start to dance to their music.  My kids did a face palm while shaking their heads.  Their friends thought it great and we had a blast.

Now that they are older, they are at a stage where they appreciate that mom is a little "different."  No, I'm not your standard PTA neo-Nazi.  I like to have fun.  So what.  I'm not hurting anybody except myself with some of the dance moves I attempt.

With that being said, my kid wants me to select the 'walk on song' for this year.  It's when the player enters the game and it plays over the PA system for about 30 seconds or so.  My trouble was trying to narrow it down as there are so many great songs.  My kid doesn't want any thing from this decade, so I went back from the 1940's to the early 1990's looking for songs.  Again, there are so many great ones it was hard to narrow it down.  The walk on song is supposed to reflect a little something about the player.  Most of my kid's teammates are selecting current hit songs from inner city rap artists.  I'm not knocking rap songs.  It's just that my kid wants something more "classic" meaning being slightly more original and something the entire audience can relate to.

I sent my kid a list of 20 or so songs to weed through.  There were two that came to mind as the artist of one is an Oakland homie, and the other one screams bad ass.  We will see which one is selected, but I thought I'd share here first.  I have a list three pages long!!!  These are only three songs.  I love putting together playlists.  I take the time to study the intent and also take into consideration the listeners.  I should have been a DJ.




No comments: