Monday, November 25, 2013

Emotional Vomit

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this time of year that brings long dormant emotions bubbling to the surface.  In one nano second I have seen my life from the vantage point of teen, parent, aunt, friend, and grandparent via my 17 year-old niece. 

What prompts teens to make the decisions they do?  What are they thinking?  Are they thinking at all?  Concerned adults wring their hands and cry with worry.  Teens are nonchalant thinking that everything will fall into place and life will be happily ever after.   Teens know EVERYTHING, right?

In the meantime the mom and dad are going out of their minds on how to deal with teen years gone haywire. What happened to their innocent little girl?

The only thing I can think of is to return to my diaries of when I was that age.  I'm immediately in the mind set of a 17 year old girl.  The trick is to bridge the 17 year old mind set to the parents.  I don't claim to have any magic answers that will guarantee smooth sailing for teen years.  I do, however, have strong, living emotions and memories from when I was "that age." 




No comments: