Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cellectomy

No, I'm not talking about the removal of cells that make us all functional biological beings.  I'm talking about getting rid of my cell phone -- a cellectomy.

Just like a lot of techno-gadgets of our time, my cellphone has just become another source of constant interruption, information overload, superficial communication, and another way for people to reach you with THEIR wants and demands.  I don't want to be bothered at a dinner party to take a call on my cell phone unless the S.W.A.T. team is at my house with a true 911 emergency.  Even if I send the call to voicemail, it's the mental knowing that there's an issue brewing in the background that is eventually going to need my attention. 

If I do answer, most of the time I regret taking the call on my cell as it's somebody wanting/needing something.  I am then expected to drop what I'm doing to take care of their issue du jour -- whether it's work or personal.

I dropped my electronic organizer late last year for my traditional paper planner.  My life has been more peaceful and organized since doing so.  It's now time for the cellectomy.  I have stopped giving my cell phone number out.  I don't care if people think I'm "missing out."  Missing out on what?  Missing out on their constant chatter and noise???  The silence sounds good to me, and the world will continue to revolve. 

We need to get over ourselves.  None of us need to be plugged in 24/7.

No comments: