Friday, June 17, 2011

California DMV

I avoid this place like the plague. However, I have a teenager that is of driving age and dealing with the DMV is just a fact of life. I have not stepped into a DMV for several years. I do everything online or snail mail. My drivers license picture is at least 12 years old. Just how does *that* work, anyway? What if somebody changes their hair color, or gains/loses a bunch of weight? What if somebody had a sex change? Would they need to get a new DMV photo? Nobody looks like their DMV photo, so why bother?

What's new with this DMV experience is the thumbprint. Yup, we're one step closer to having computer chips implanted behind our right year like animals from the pound.

While it's easy to pick on the DMV because it's the epitome of government buracracy, I do have to give the DMV credit where credit is due. For example....

Upon entering the DMV there was a start-here-help-desk. The person at the desk asked the reason for your visit and then inquired if you had the right paperwork WITH YOU and completed prior to entering the que. I give that process credit because there is nothing more annoying than getting to the front of the que after waiting for over an hour only to find you accidentally forgot an important bit of information that is needed to complete your business -- IF YOU ONLY KNEW AHEAD OF TIME. Well, now you do.

When we got to the front of the que, the DMV employees were extremely helpful and friendly. I have to give this bunch credit as they actually knew what there were doing and they actually looked to be working hard. The DMV employees are usually the target of crude jokes for being unresponsive, aloof, and not giving a crap, but this was not my experience.

I can't speak for all California DMV's, but this Sonoma County location was trying to make the best out of the all the government red tape with attempts at effeciency and trying to be customer friendly. Well done.

No comments: