Saturday, December 22, 2007

Chia Pets

Tonight I saw a commercial on television for a Chia Pet. I had no idea Chia Pets were still around. For those of you who were spared the initial round of Chia Pet exposure from the '70's, I'll define what a Chia Pet is. A Chia Pet is a clay pot shaped like a lamb, horse, or Scooby-Doo's head. You rub seeds on this clay lamb, horse, or Scooby-Doo's head (depending on which one you ordered) and it grows a layer of moss that looks like baby bean sprouts. If you order within the next 24 hours you will receive a free bonus gift. Order Scooby-Doo's head and it will come with a bonus Shaggy you can give away to your friend. Wow.

Ok. I'll admit it. I'm jealous. What moron thought of this ridiculous scheme, and who are the morons actually purchasing Chia Pets? The Chia Pet has been around for 30 years, and still people are buying them! I could only wish to think of successfully marketing something so utterly useless and still be in the game 30 years later! Genius.

2 comments:

CG said...

I have never heard of a chia pet. I guess it's good some things don't travel across the pond to the UK from the US :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, easy with that. Chia pets kick ass! For that I shall endeavor to destroy the Earth... by planting the entire dry land surface with chia seeds thereby turning the entire planet into a chia pet... BWAHAHAHAHA!

JK! Seriously though, chia pets rock, please refrain from dissing them.