Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Promise of a New Year

 2023 is all but behind us.  In a few short hours we will be ringing in the new year.  As I type this I'm waiting for my curling iron to heat up so I can do my hair, put on my dancing shoes, and head over to M's house.  

Earlier in the day my daughter and I drove past M's on our way to get pedicures.  I could see she had people setting up a tent outside for tonight's party.  They were also stringing up lights and setting up a performance stage. Music and dancing start at 9:00 PM tonight.  M's boyfriend has worked fervently setting up the yard like it's Napa Valley's BottleRock.  I know that you know that I know that the party will be crazy.

Yup.  That's M.  Music and parties are her life.  She will go out every night of the week for live music and dancing around Sonoma and Marin Counties and stay out until the wee hours of the morning.  I can't keep up with her.  I'm jealous.  There.  I said it.  

M and I have a history.  I've been part of her decade milestone birthdays for 30 years.  Tonight is no different.  I love having a friend like her.  M is a wonderful soul full of love and life.  The last milestone birthday party at her house was absolutely wild and nuts.  Her living room furniture ended up outside (don't ask) and I danced for hours on end with some guy from west Africa (totally innocent and harmless) who said, "You move pretty good.......for a white girl."

M has a lot of musician friends.  There is always a random set of instruments:  drums, guitars, horns, etc.  at her parties.  People just pick up and play.  People like me just dance -- however badly that might be.  The point is that people are having FUN. 

No comments: