Wednesday, January 11, 2023

The Visit From MRH

 MRH and I go back to the early 1980's.  We were partners in crime in high school.  We both had a twisted sense of humor and used our seniority on the danceline as a weapon against the young-in-newbies.  We even choreographed together for the danceline our senior year.  MRH was an esteemed student of jazz dancing who also had a background in ballet.  Me?  My parents did not have the resources to send me to dance class so I used to copy the Solid Gold Dancers, and any other dancers on variety show television I could get my hands on.  I used to "tape" the dance sequences so I could break it down.  I also tried to mimic figure skating moves from Dorothy Hamil at the local skating rink. 

It was me trying to mimic the ice skating moves at the local ice skating rink that got me thunked in the head by a hockey puck from one of the aspiring neighborhood hockey players.   We all had to share the same ice.  I remember him to this day.  The hockey player had a crush on my friend, NH (a lifelong friend of mine).  He thought that if he could injure me he could get closer to NH..  Wow.  What a way to start a love conversation.  "Gee, I just hit your friend in the temple with a hockey puck.  Is she ok?  Assuming she does not leave the ice rink in an ambulance, wanna go out to Bridgeman's?"

Yes, I'm dating myself.  Sigh.  Glad I took one for the team.  NH and the hockey player had two winter seasons of mad ice dating at the local neighborhood rink complete with make-out sessions in the warming house. 

You youngins don't even know what a warming house is.....never underestimate the passion and talent of a Minnesota hockey player.

ANYWAY.....

This post is about MRH coming to visit me in California.  I got a bit sidetracked (shocker).  MRH has been delt a hand of less-than-great cards.  Her daughter is getting married the first week of February and she is not invited to her own daughter's wedding.  It's a long, ugly story about MRH and her husband splitting up and the mayhem that ensued.  They were high school sweethearts, got married, had four kids together, and then it all got ugly.  They split up.  

What's tough is that I went to high school with both MRH and her ex-husband.  We have a similar circle of connections.  I don't want to weigh in with my opinion on anybody's marriage as life is complicated and messy.  

Here's where I stand.  MRH is coming out for a visit.  I know she has been through a lot with her divorce, addictions, cancer, mental health issues, etc.   MRH is vulnerable.  If I can give her a 5 day reprieve from her life in Minnesota and help her forget that she was not invited to her daughter's wedding, I will consider that a huge victory. 

I want to believe in the MRH I knew in high school.  I know she's in there somewhere.  Life has been brutal to her.   Hey, Mercy Wellness in Cotati has the goods she could benefit from.  No joke.  

I'm giving to somebody who will never be able to repay me.  I'm ok with that. 


 

 





No comments: